I should first off admit that I didn’t ask my husbands permission to use this photo but I’m sure he wouldn’t mind. Last month we listened to his grandpa talk about their Scottish heritage. I was fascinated by the stories and experiences he relayed to us and suddenly felt an urge to ask him more and more questions. I didn’t want this information to be lost.
With parents and grandparents getting older it is important to ask them about their life. We learn so much about ourselves when we learn about where we came from.
Here are some questions you can ask your parents and grandparents. Ask if you can record their answers so you can listen to it for years to come!
- What do you remember about your grandparents?
- What stories did your parents tell you about them?
- Are there any customs or family traditions that have been passed down through the generations?
- Where and when were you born?
- What was the residence like that you lived in?
- What were your parents like?
- What are your favorite memories of them?
- What is the most important thing they taught you?
- What were they like as children?
- What kind of things did you enjoy doing together?
- What were you like as a child?
- Who was your best friend?
- What was your school like and did you like it?
- What were your best and worst subjects?
- What were your favorite foods?
- What were your favorite things to do?
- What was your most memorable birthday?
- What did you want to be when you grew up?
- Did you have any jobs before you left high school? What?
- What did you like most about your childhood?
- Where did you live when you left home?
- What was your first job like as an adult?
- What were the best and worst jobs you ever had?
- What was your favorite hobby?
- Have you done any traveling? What places did you?
- What do you remember about the world at different times in your life?
- What were some of your greatest accomplishments?
- What was the most embarrassing thing you ever did?
- If you could go back and re-live any part of your life, what it would be?
- What was your proudest moment?
- What main things guided your life decisions?
- At times of stress in your life, what got you through it?
- What is the most important lessons you have learned so far?
- Who was the one person you admired most? Why?
- What was the hardest thing you ever had to do?
- What thing(s) did you mother/father always say?
- What is your most treasured possession and why?
- As you look back, what are the three most fantastic changes you witnessed?
- Describe your spiritual or religious beliefs.
- How has your faith helped to guide you through life?
- Was there a special time in your life when your faith sustained you in a time of crisis?
- What is your favorite Scripture/hymn/story and why?